On this page
Are you losing the health insurance plan you've enjoyed through your job? Maybe it's because you're leaving for another job, starting your own business or retiring. No matter what the reason, FollowMe Health can help. FollowMe Health Insurance can make sure you're covered as soon as your work plan ends, keeping you protected from many health care costs that may not be covered by your government health plan.
Plus, your acceptance is guaranteed*, upon receipt of your first premium payment, as long as you apply within 90 days of losing your work plan. Health and dental coverage that begins when your employee health coverage ends.
There's no age maximum. To apply, you just need to be a Canadian resident, age 18 or older. Applicants must be members of a government health plan. If you are a Quebec resident, you must also be registered under the RAMQ Prescription Drug Insurance Plan.
In addition to any other exclusions set out in the policy that you receive, the FollowMe Health Insurance plan cannot pay benefits for:
- charges resulting from self-inflicted injury while sane or insane;
- charges that are eligible for payment by a government health insurance plan or reimbursement by a manufacturer rebate program;
- charges for care, services or supplies that are for cosmetic purposes, except when in connection with reconstructive surgery to repair or replace tissue damaged by disease or bodily injury;
- charges for drugs, tests, services, treatment or supplies that are not medically necessary, or which are experimental as determined by the insurer;
- charges that are deemed excessive by Manulife, relative to the usual, reasonable and customary charges in your area of residence;
- charges for hospitalization if the person is confined in a hospital on the effective date, except when the confinement is due to an emergency occurring after the application date;
- charges for services, equipment and supplies provided in a chronic care or psychiatric hospital or institution, chronic care unit of a hospital, psychiatric unit of a hospital or when a patient is confined to a long-term care facility or a transition ward of an acute hospital;
- charges incurred for which payment under this plan is illegal;
- charges for duplicate or replacement prosthetic appliances, devices or durable medical equipment, except where replacement is required because the existing item can no longer be made serviceable due to normal wear, or as a result of a change in the patient’s condition that makes a replacement necessary;
- charges for eligible services provided outside your province or territory of residence, if they are more than Manulife would have paid for such services if they were provided in the province or territory of residence, determined as of the date the last service was provided outside the province or territory of residence;
- charges resulting from care, services or supplies due to sickness or injury resulting from war, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities, warlike operations (whether war be declared or not), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, civil commotion assuming the proportions of or amounting to an uprising, military or usurped power, hijacking, any act of terrorism or any action taken in controlling, preventing or suppressing any of the foregoing, including claims which are as a result of or in any way connected or associated with such events or causes and regardless of any other cause or event contributing concurrently or in any other sequence thereto. For the purpose of this exclusion, "act of terrorism" means an act including, but not limited to, the use of force or violence and/or the threat thereof, by any person or groups of persons, whether acting alone or on behalf of or in connection with any organization or government, committed for political, religious, ideological, or similar purposes including the intention to influence any government and/or to put the public, or any section of the public, in fear, or an act that has been determined by the appropriate federal authority to have been an act of terrorism;
- charges or benefits, in full or in part, that are removed from government coverage after the effective date of this plan;
- charges for drugs, medicines, services or supplies that have been self-prescribed, or prescribed by or for family members;
- charges resulting from medical conditions or ailments that were deemed to be excluded in the counter-offer letter you signed and accepted, if you were asked to sign one;
- charges for hospitalization due to pregnancy or pregnancy-related conditions, if on the application date of the policy, the policyholder is twenty-one (21) weeks pregnant or greater. However, benefits are payable if the policyholder is less than twenty-one (21) weeks pregnant on the application date, in which case Manulife will cover a maximum of two (2) days of hospitalization if hospitalization is a result of the pregnancy or complication of the pregnancy.
Once you receive your Policy, examine it carefully. If you are not satisfied, simply return your Policy to Manulife within 30 days and request that your coverage be cancelled. Your premiums will be refunded in full – no questions asked!
Your coverage generally starts on the 1st of the following month for health and dental plans that offer guaranteed acceptance, and the 1st of the month after your plan is approved for health and dental plans that require a medical questionnaire.
If your payment method of choice is either by credit card or Pre-Authorized Debit (PAD), and the credit card or account number shown on your Premium Notice is correct, you don't need to do anything. We will charge your premium payment to your account in the month in which your premium is due, and apply it to your coverage. If your Payment Method is by cheque, send a cheque for the full amount to us by the Anniversary Due Date. Your Premium Notice will include details of how you can pay.
You can upgrade by phone by calling one of our Licensed Insurance Advisors at 1-866-707-4922 from Monday to Friday 8am – 8pm ET.
If you ever wish to cancel your coverage, all you have to do is mail us a written notification bearing your signature. Your coverage will end beginning with the Payment Due date following the date on which we receive your cancellation request. If, within 30 days of first receiving your Policy or Certificate of Insurance, you return it to us along with your written and signed cancellation request, we will refund your premiums in full. In either case, please be aware that if you later choose to rejoin the plan, you must once again complete an application and meet the medical qualifications required of any new applicant. If you are unsure about cancelling your coverage, please contact us and we will try to help.
Our dedicated and informed Customer Service Representatives are available to answer your questions or assist you with this coverage Monday through Friday from 8am – 8pm ET. Simply phone us toll-free at 1-866-707-4922.
Please refer to our Contact us page for details. Please do not include any credit card account numbers in your email message to us.
Ready to apply?
If you’re ready to lock in the coverage that works best for you – take the next step and get a quote for the coverage you need, then proceed to the application. It helps to have birth dates and provincial or territorial coverage information handy on everyone you would like to cover, like your spouse and children.Get a quote and apply
Our 30-day guarantee
If you are not satisfied with your coverage, simply return your insurance policy to Manulife within 30 days of receiving it, and any premiums paid for the coverage will be promptly refunded.1
*Guaranteed acceptance is dependent on receipt of your first premium payment. Applicants must be members of a provincial or territorial health plan. The FollowMe™ Health insurance plan is not intended to provide and will not provide the same coverage that you may have had under your group health insurance plan. FollowMe™ Health plan is not recommended to be offered or sold to groups of employees residing in Quebec for whom An Act Respecting Prescription Drug Insurance mandates the basic plan coverage.
1 The insured may, within thirty (30) days after receiving this policy, return it to the address below for cancellation. The policy will be considered never to have come into effect and any premium paid up to the end of the 30-day examination period will be refunded, less any claims paid. Where claims paid exceed premiums, the difference must be repaid to the insurer immediately. This right of cancellation expires thirty (30) days after the policy is received by the insured and does not apply to any reissued, substituted or consolidated policy continuing coverage that commenced under a previously issued policy. The rights of any beneficiary under the policy are subject to this right of cancellation.